Unit 1 Greetings 问候
1.Dialogue
张先生与格林先生是一对忘年交。一天,他们在路上相遇了,看来他们好久没有见面了,他们彼此问候着对方的情况,并相约下周一起吃饭。从这篇对话中,我们可以学到熟识的朋友之间应该怎么问候。
A: Good morning. Mr. Green.
早安。格林先生。
B: Good morning. Mr. Zhang.
早安。张先生。
A: How's everything going?
近来好吗?
B: Really fine. Thank you. And how is your wife?
很好。谢谢。你太太好吗?
A: She felt a bit off color, but she's much better now. Thank you.
她觉得有点不舒服,但是现在好多了。谢谢你。
B: Well. I'm glad to hear that.
嗯。我很高兴听你那么说。
A: And how is everyone at your house?
你的家人都好吗?
B: Quite well. Thank you. I'm meeting my wife and son for lunch at 12 o?clock. Would you care to join us? John really missed you.
很好。谢谢你。我12点要跟我太太和儿子会面吃午饭,要不要一道去?约翰很想念你。
A: Oh, me too. I'd love too, but I'm afraid I can't, I already have a lunch engagement. How's John?
哦,我也很想念他。我很乐意一道去,不过恐怕不行,我午餐已经有约了。约翰最近如何?
B: He's fine.
他很好。
A: What's he doing these days?
最近他都在做些什么?
B: Oh, he's studying Chinese.
哦,他在学习汉语。
A: That's good.
这很好。
B: Well. Then, perhaps we can get together another time.
嗯,那么,也许我们可以再找个时间聚一聚。
A: I hope so, too.
我也希望如此。
B: Are you free for our party next Friday evening?
你下星期五晚上有空参加我们的聚会吗?
A: Friday? Yes, I'm free that evening.
星期五?好的,那天晚上我有空。
B: Well, we're having a few friends in for dinner, and we'd like you and your wife to join us.
嗯,我们有几个朋友来家里吃晚餐,我们希望你和你太太能一道来。
A: It's very kind of you, Mr. Green. We'd be much like delighted to accept your invitation.
格林先生,你真好,我们很高兴接受你的邀请。
B: Well. I think I'd better be running along, my wife is waiting for me.
好了,我不得不走了,我太太在等我。
A: OK. Have a nice time. Remember me to Mrs. Green.
好的,祝你们愉快,请代我向格林太太问好。
B: I certainly will. Thank you.
我会的。谢谢。
A: I'm glad I ran /into/ you today.
很高兴今天见到你。
B: Me too. See you.
我也是,再见。
A: See you.
再见。
2.精彩脱口秀--问候
问候是交际开始的标志,有建立和延续人际关系的作用。精彩的问候、恰当的回答可以体现一个人良好的文化修养。陌生人之间的相互问候可以消除陌生感,熟人之间的问候可以增进感情交流,总之,无论何时何地,简单的问候语是促进情感交流的最直接的方式。
●What a pleasant surprise!真是个惊喜啊!
●What brings you here today?什么风把你吹来啦?
●Same as ever.老样子。
●How's everything going?一切都好吗?
●I'm still living and kicking.我身体健康并且精力充沛。
●Hello, there, what a coincidence!你好,可真巧啊!
●Well, look who's here!嘿,看谁来了!
●I'm full of the joys of spring.我幸福极了!
●Buzzing, simply buzzing!忙啊!
●So-so, thanks.马马虎虎。
●Not too much.不怎么好。
●Nothing in particular.没什么特别的。
●What's new?有什么新鲜事吗?
●What's your name?请问尊姓大名?
●What's you up to these days?你最近在干啥?
●It's really nice to see you again.再见到你真好!
●Small world, isn't it!世界真小啊!不是吗?
●The very person I was after.这正是我要找的人。
● What keeps you so busy lately?你最近怎么这样忙?
Unit 2 Introductions 介绍
1. Dialogue
这是一次生意场上的聚会,有好多人都是彼此陌生的,面对这种情况,就需要大家互相介绍。布朗先生在这次聚会中,通过比尔的介绍认识了北京电脑公司的李先生并且十分欣赏其公司的电脑。
A: I'm so glad you were able to come, Brown. I believe you know most of the people here.
布朗,很高兴你能来。我想这里的人你大部分都认识。
B: Yes, I think I do. Oh, there's Bill. Let me go over and see him.
是的,我想是的。哦,比尔在那里。我过去见见他。
B: Hello, Bill. Long time no see.
嗨,比尔,好久不见。
C: Why, hello. Brown. It's good to see you. Have you met Mr. Li?
嗨,你好!布朗,幸会。你见过李先生吗?
B: No, I don't believe I have.
没有,我想我没见过。
C: Mr. Li, I'd like to introduce Brown. Brown is a business associate of our host.
李先生,我给你介绍布朗先生。布朗先生是我们生意上的伙伴。
D: I'm very happy to meet you, Mr. Brown.
很高兴认识你,布朗先生。
B: It's my pleasure. Mr. Li.
这是我的荣幸,李先生。
C: Mr. Li is on the engineering staff of the Beijing Computer Company.
李先生在北京电脑公司的工程部做事。
B: May I compliment you on your fine office computers? You know, we?re purchased quite a number of them for export to the United States.
请容我夸赞贵公司品质精良的办公电脑。你知道,我们已经购买了很多贵公司的电脑,外销到美国。
D: Why, thank you very much.
是吗?非常谢谢你。
B: I'm glad to have met you.
很高兴认识你。
D: I'm glad to have met you, too.
我也很高兴能认识你。
2.精彩脱口秀--介绍
介绍是社交常见的礼仪活动,有助于社交活动的开展,有助于增进相互之间的友谊并建立新的社会关系,介绍与被介绍的内容相差不多。初次见面,第一印象非常重要,所以,精彩的介绍必然会给人留下一个完美的印象。
●Do you know each other?你们彼此认识吗?
●I've been looking forward to meeting you.我一直希望能认识你。
●I have often heard about you.久仰,久仰。
●Meet my sister Mary.认识一下我妹妹玛丽。
●This is Mr. Smith, manager of the KT Company.这位是史密斯先生,KT公司的经理。
●Have you met each other?你们见过面吗?
●I've been waiting to meet you!我一直盼望跟你见面!
●Allow me to introduce Mr. Brown.请允许我介绍布朗先生。
●I'd like to introduce Mr. Zhang.我愿向诸位介绍张先生。
●I'm honored to present Mr. Jin.很荣幸向诸位介绍金先生。
●I don't believe we've met.我相信我们没有见过面。
●May I introduce myself: Jack White.请允许我自我介绍:我叫杰克•怀特。
●I don't believe we've met. I'm...我相信我们没有见过面。我是......
●Excuse me, my name is...对不起,我叫......
●I'm honored to meet you.很荣幸见到你。
●I think I have.我们见过。
●I'd like to introduce my friend.我想介绍一下我的朋友。
●I'd like you to meet my friend.我想让你来见一下我的朋友。
●Meet Tom.来见一下汤姆。
Unit 3 Likes and Dislikes好恶
1. Dialogue
露西不仅是位歌手,还是位乐师,她喜欢任何音乐,而且能够演奏乐器。"A"是露西新认识的朋友,她不停地问露西对音乐的好恶,看来"B"对露西很了解。
A: Wonderful! Very nice.
好极了!很好。
B: Do you like rock music?
你喜欢摇滚乐吗?
A: Yes, I do. I like all music. What do you like?
是的,所有音乐我都喜欢。你喜欢什么音乐?
C: Everything.
任何音乐。
B: No, she doesn't. She doesn't like opera.
不,不是任何音乐,她不喜欢歌剧。
A: Let's talk about music. First, let's talk about your music. Lucy, you're a singer.
让我们谈谈音乐吧。首先,来谈一谈你的音乐。露西,你是歌手。
C: That's right. But I'm a musician, too.
不错,但我也是乐师。
A: Do you play an instrument?
你演奏乐器吗?
C: Yes, I do.
是的。
B: She plays several instruments very well.
有好几种乐器她演奏得非常好。
A: What do you play, Lucy?
你演奏什么乐器,露西?
C: I play the guitar. I play the piano, but not very well. I play the flute.
我弹吉他,弹钢琴,但弹得不太好。我吹笛子。
B: She plays many flutes.
她吹许多种笛子。
C: I like the flute. I play folk music on the flute. Do you like folk music?
我喜欢笛子,我用笛子吹奏民间音乐。你喜欢民间音乐吗?
A: Yes, I do. Let's listen to some folk music.
喜欢,让我们听听民间音乐吧。
B: That's very nice.
真好听。
C: I like that.
我喜欢听。
A: Do you like to sing?
你喜欢唱歌吗?
C: Oh, yes!
哦,是的!
B: I like to sing. But I don't sing very well. Lucy sings very well.
我喜欢唱歌,但我唱得不太好,露西唱得很好。
C: Thank you. That's nice.
谢谢,真好听。
B: My mother is an opera singer. But I can't sing very well.
我母亲是名歌剧演员,但我唱不太好。
A: Does your mother like your music?
你母亲喜欢你的音乐吗?
B: No, she doesn't.
不,她不喜欢。
A: Do you like opera?
你喜欢歌剧吗?
B: Yes, I do.
是的,我喜欢。
A: Do you play the keyboard?
你弹奏电子琴吗?
B: No, I don't.
不,我不弹。
A: Do you like country music, Lucy?
露西,你喜欢乡村音乐吗?
C: Yes, I do.
是的,我喜欢。
2.精彩脱口秀--好恶
每个人都会对身边的事物有不同的看法。或喜欢,或不喜欢,或讨厌。当我们对其有好感时,我们就要脱口而出。反之,也要如此。爱憎分明,让别人知道自己的好恶,也要了解他人的好恶,这样有利于我们的交流。"投其所好"有利于交流的成功。
●Do you go for reading?你对读书感兴趣吗?
●Are you a music fan?你是音乐迷吗?
●What are you interested in?你对什么感兴趣?
●Disco is what grabs me a lot.迪斯科使我很感兴趣。
●Studying isn't for me.我对学习不感兴趣。
●I'm afraid his story leaves me cold.恐怕我对他的故事不感兴趣。
●That kid gets a real sweet tooth.那个孩子喜欢吃甜食。
●I hate taking pills.我讨厌吃药。
●I'm so sick of cooking.我讨厌做饭。
●The girl is nice.这个女孩很讨人喜欢。
●I don't think I've seen anything I like better.我还没见过我更喜欢的东西呢。
●I can't find words to express how much I like it.我无法用语言表达我多么喜欢它。
●There's nothing I like less.我最不喜欢的莫过于此了。
●Horrible, isn't it?讨厌极了,不是吗?
●I've never liked...I'm afraid.恐怕我从来不喜欢......
●I find the song distinctly unattractive.我觉得这歌特别乏味。
●I think working here is really awful.我认为在这儿工作实在讨厌。
●Pop songs are rubbish.流行歌曲毫无价值。
●I can't tolerate her rudeness.我不能容忍她的无礼。
●I'm mad about that girl.我对那个女孩非常着迷。