black and blue
鼻青脸肿;伤痕累累
Her arm was black and blue from the accident.
(她的手臂在事故中伤痕累累。)
He beat the boy black and blue.
(他把那个孩子打得鼻青脸肿,遍体鳞伤。)
add fuel to the fire
火上加油
I think we should show our objection by leaving the meeting.
(我认为我们应该以离开会场来表达我们的抗议。)
I'm afraid the move will only add fuel to the fire.
(我怕这么做只会火上加油。)
in one's tracks
当场,当下
The police caught the thief in his tracks.
(警察当场(当下)就把小偷给抓了起来。)
That must have been dangerous - he already shot two police officers.
(那一定很危险,他已经枪杀了两名警官。) out of season
不合时令的
Do you have strawberries in your country?
(你的国家生产草莓吗?)
Sure we do, but they're out of season right now.
(当然,但现在不是产草莓的季节。)
have butterflies in one's stomach
感到紧张
I always get butterflies in my stomach before a test.
(我在考试之前都会感到紧张。)
I have them before I go on a first date with a girl.
(我第一次和女生约会时也会这样。)
pull one's punches
手下留情
I didn't pull my punches. I told her exactly what I think of her.
(我没有手下留情。我清楚表达对她的想法。)
Did she cry? It must have hurt her feelings.
(她哭了吗?那一定很伤她的心。)
dead set against something
坚决反对
Are you sure you don't want to reconsider his proposal?
(你确定你不要重新考虑他的提案吗?)
Listen, I'm dead set against his plan. So don't waste your time.
(听着,我坚决反对他的构想。所以你别浪费时间了。)
not enough room to swing a cat
没有足够的转身空间
The living room is too small.
(客厅实在太小了。)
I agree! There's not enough room to swing a cat.
(我同意!连转身的空间都没有。)
at the top of one's lungs
声嘶力竭
I yelled at the top of my lungs to get tom's attention. But he seems to be deaf.
(我声嘶力竭地大喊想要引起汤姆的注意。不过他像是聋了一样。)
Didn't you see that he was wearing earphones? Every time he listens to rock-n-roll, he turns the volume way up.
(你没看见他戴着耳机吗?他每次听摇滚乐总把音量开到最大。)