loony tunes
彻底疯了,意识完全不清醒,精神崩溃。
1. After the death of his parents, he went
totally loony tunes.
他的父母过世之后,他整个人都疯掉了。
2. The professor is so intelligent that many people think he is actually loony tunes.
教授如此聪明,以至于让很多人他有点疯癫。
look sharp
机灵点儿,提高警惕。
1. Our boss told us to look sharp when the president comes for a visit.
我们的老板让我们机灵一点,因为总裁要来这里视察了。
2. It's hard for the soccer theam to look sharp when it's 40 degrees outside.
外面40度的高温,对于这个足球队而言,要想让大家反应敏捷,生气勃勃,那可是太难了。
live for sth
极度热衷或喜好某事。
1. Our team has great fans,they live for soccer.
我们的队伍有最棒的球迷,因为非常的热衷足球。
2. Our program has great fans,you live for Action English.
我们的节目有很多的观众,有希望各位热衷于收看我们的栏目。
3. I love going to the art galleries,I live for paintings.
我非常的喜欢去美术馆,因为我非常的爱画。
live
现场的,记实的,直播的,现场版。
1. Joy Chou had a live online interview last night.
昨晚有一个乔伊?周的网上现场采访。
2. I'm nervous because this will be my first live show so I cannot make any mistakes.
我当然紧张,因为这是我的第一次现场的演出,我可不能有任何的差错。
Let's move it!
有两个意思,它的第一意思是 go faster,快点,表示催促。它的第二个意思是 get out of the way, 意思是让开,让让路。不过这个短语有一定硬,用的时候小心一点,讲的时候柔和一点。
1. We're gonna be late for school! Let's move it!
我们快点好吗?上学快迟到了。 2. Don't stand in the doorway talking. Move it! I need to pass!
不要站在门口说话,请让开好吗?我需要过去。
Let's get this show on the road.
意思是"让我们开始吧"。相当于" Let's go. Let's get started."
1. Is everyone here? Good, Let's get this show on the road.
各位都到齐了吗?好,那我们就开始了。
2. It's late and we still haven't left yet! Let's get this show on the road!
已经这么晚了,我们还没有出发,让我们赶快出发吧。
left oneself wide open
陷于容易受到攻击的危险境地。
1. With all their players down at the other end of the field they left themselves wide open for the other team to score a goal.
由于他们所有的队员都在场地的一边,出现了非常大的空挡,使对方有机会进球。
2. He was always gossiping at work so he left himself wide open to be criticized by his colleagues.
他总是在工作时讲别人的闲话,所以他非常容易受到同事们的批评。
lifer
某事情要干一辈子,或干很长时间,做某事做很久。
1. My dream job is to be a lifer on a famous television show.
我梦想的工作是能够在一个有名的电视节目里面工作一辈子。
2. The guilty criminal got a lifer,he was sentenced to forty years in prison.
那个罪犯肯定要在监狱里面待很久了,他被判刑四十年。
mix up
误会,误解、混淆。Misunderstanding or confusion。
1. I thought you said we were going to meet on Park Street, not on Main Street. What a mix up?
我记得你说我们要在帕克大街上见面的,不是在主大道。怎么搞的?
2. If it wasn't for the mix up, I would have been here on time.
如果不是因为误会的话,我可以按时到达的。
mess with sb
招惹某人,向某人挑衅。
1. A drunk guy at the bar tried to mess with me,but the bartender kicked him out.
那天一个喝醉了的家伙,他想招惹我,酒保把他哄赶出去。
make up one's mind
下定决心。
1. I just couldn't make up my mind over what to wear to my best friend's wedding.
我决定不好,穿什么衣服去参加我最好朋友的婚礼。
2. I have to make up my mind quickly over where to go for National Day.
我必须立刻决定国庆节去哪里玩。
make it
实现,做到,完成,成功,达到目标。
1. I didn't think I was going to make it through the exam,it was so hard!
我真没想到我能通过考试,考试太难了。
2. He went to Hollywood to try and make it as an actor.
他去好莱坞去尝试一下是否自己能够成为一名演员。
make a toast
祝酒词。也可当动词用。
1. At weddings the best man will always make a toast.
在这个婚宴上一般是伴郎他来说祝酒词。
2. I think we should toast our
hostess for
inviting us.
我这杯酒是敬给女主人的,因为她让我们来享受这么好的佳肴。
make a crack about sth
因为某件事而取笑某人。
1. Frank's new hat looks kind of stupid but don't make any cracks! Because he really likes it.
费兰克买了一顶帽子,看上去挺傻的,但是你不要取笑他,因为他自己很喜欢.
2. Yesterday a cab driver made a crack about my pronunciation because my English is so poor.
昨天一个司机嘲笑我的发音了,因为我的英语确实很差.
nuts
神经病,或对某事狂热地喜好。
1. A:Let's go camping next
weekend.
B:Are you nuts?It's too cold to sleep outside!
星期我们去宿营好吗?
你有病吧,这么冷的天气是没法睡在外面的。
2. I'm nuts about video games.I play for 5 hour
everyday.
我非常喜欢电动游戏,每天都要玩五个小时。
nuts
"To be nuts"means "to be crazy".中文意思就是"白痴,傻瓜,疯了".
1. Hey, don't put your hands in the tiger cage. Are you nuts?
不要把你的手放在老虎的笼子面前,你疯了吗?
2. What?Quit college?Are you nuts?How would I get a good job?
什么?你让我退学?你疯了吗?那样的话你让我怎么找工作?
nuts
"To be nuts"means "to be crazy".中文意思就是"白痴,傻瓜,疯了".
1. Hey, don't put your hands in the tiger cage. Are you nuts?
不要把你的手放在老虎的笼子面前,你疯了吗?
2. What?Quit college?Are you nuts?How would I get a good job?
什么?你让我退学?你疯了吗?那样的话你让我怎么找工作?
nothing to lose
无所谓,没有任何损失。
1. Why don't you try out for the basketball team?You have nothing to lose.
你为什么不去尝试一下参加篮球队,反正你也不会有什么损失。
2. When you are young, you can do anything, you have nothing to lose.
当你年轻的受,你可以做任何事情,因为你不会有任何损失。
not know any better
年纪小,不懂事。
1. Don't punish my son for stealing he doesn't know any better.
不要因为我儿子偷东西而惩罚他,他年纪还小,不懂事。
2. You can't get mad at the dog for ruining your shoes,it doesn't know any better.
你不要因为你的狗咬坏你的鞋子就惩罚它,它毕竟还不懂事。
not about to
不准备让某些事发生,不会做某事。
1. I'm sorry I didn't let you go to the party,but I am not about to let you throw away your career like that!
很抱歉,我不让你参加这个聚会,因为我不想让你因此而丢掉你的工作。
2. I was very angry with him.I wasn't about to let him treat you like that!
我非常生气,我不能让他这样对待你。
返回 更多评论
noodle
It's a funny way to say"brain".它是一种幽默的说法,表示"脑子"的意思.动脑子,我们可以说"use the noodle",或者说"use your smarts".
1. Use your noodle to figure out the math problem.
动动脑子,把这道数学题做出来.
2. You haven't used your noodle. So you've got ripped-off.
因为你没有动脑子,所以你就被人家骗了.
No way!
决不可能,没戏,没门,不可能。
1. A:Can you take care of my cat while I'm on vacation?
B:No way. I'm allergic to cats.
我休假时你能帮我照顾我的猫吗?
不可能,我对猫过敏。
2. No way am I going to go skydiving with you. It's too dangerous!
我们不可能跟你一起去跳伞,因为太危险了。
no sweat
没问题,不用谢,一点也不麻烦.一般在别人谢谢你的时候用.
1. It's no sweat for me to drive you to work.I'm going in the same direction.
我开车送你去单位吧,对我来讲一点也不麻烦,因为我跟你顺路.
2. A:Thanks for helping me with my homework.
B:no sweat.
谢谢你帮我弄作业.
不用谢.
no staying power
没有常性、耐性。Have no
endurance or commitment.
1. Her long resume with numerous jobs indicated that she had no staying power at any particular company.
她长长的简历证明了她在任何一家公司都没有长性。
2. Tom was very
passionate about his relationships at first, but he had no staying power and they ended quickly.
汤姆在感情关系上从来都是一开始充满热情,但是由于没有长性,总是会很快分手。
no
picnic不容易,不简单。
1. Having two jobs is no
picnic.
同时做两份工作是很不简单的事情。
No kidding.
你别开玩笑了!是真的么?表示不太相信。
1. You got a tattoo again?No, kidding!
你说我又纹了一个文身,真的吗?
2. A:I will quit my job tomorrow.
B:No kidding!Why?
明天我要辞工作了。
别骗人了,真的吗?
nice try
你够勇的,你有种。形容有些人试图欺骗你,你知道他在骗你,这时可以使用这个表达方式,说明你识破了别人的伎俩。表示一种讽刺语气。
1。Nice try.You didn't scare me.I knew you were hiding behind that door.
你有种,干得漂亮,但是你没有把我吓倒,我知道你就躲在那个门的后面。
never enter one's mind
从来就没有这么想过,没有有某种念头,从来没有这个打算。
1. It would never enter my mind to leave my job.
我从来没有想过要辞掉这份工作。
2. Before meeting her it never entered my mind to get married.
在认识她之前,我从未动过结婚的念头。
natural
某方面的天才,天生是做某事的料。
1. He's natural sportsman.He never trains but still does very well.
他天生是个搞运动的。他从来不参加训练,可是还是很棒。
2. It was the first time he'd acted but he was very good,definitely a natural.
虽然是第一次上台表演,但是他感觉非常好,绝对天生做演员的料。
night owl
夜猫子。
1. I don't go to Sanlitun that often,as I'm not much of a night owl.
我并不是很经常去三里屯玩,因为我并不是一个夜猫子。
2. I'm a night owl so I
normally do my homework after midnight.
因为我是夜猫子,所以我总是很奇怪在半夜以后才开始来学习。
overdo
做过头了,做某事太过分。
1. The docoter said I could play
tennis if I didn't overdo it.
医生说如果我适度活动的话,还是可以打网球的.
out of the
woodwork不知从哪冒出来的,凭空冒出来。
1. On Sundays,old people seem to come out of the
woodwork,whereas during the week,no one sees them at all.
一到礼拜天,那些老人不知从哪全冒出来了。礼拜一到礼拜五根本看不见他们。
2. It's amazing how so many people can
seemingly come out of the
woodwork for one big sports event or concert.
真有趣,一有重大体育赛事,就不知从哪冒出这么多观众。
out of one's league
力不从心。
1. I can plan parties and weddings,but an international convention is out of my league。
我可以策划一个舞会没问题,婚姻也没问题,但是搞一个大型的国际会议,这个我就感觉力不心了。
2. Learning French is easy,but Korean is out of my league.
学习法语简单,但是学韩语我就力不从心了。
out of hand
完全失控。
1. Because they were drinking while playing cards,eventually the entire game got out of hand.
他们一边打牌,一边喝酒,所以最后场面就失控了。
2. The small child was completely out of hand at the event,embarrassing his parents.
小孩子在这次活动中彻底失控,让他的父母非常尴尬。
one's way or the highway.
要不你听我的意见,要不你就彻底从我眼前消失。
1. I don't like traveling with Tracy because she never lets me choose what we do. It's always her way or the highway.
我最不喜欢跟瑞西一起旅行,因为他从来都不让我们来挑选我们,做什么永远都是听他的。
2. My teacher has a"my way or the highway"attitude,but I still like him because his class is always interesting.
我的老师是那种要不你就听我的规矩,要不你就从我消失的这种态度,但是我还是非常喜欢他的风格,因为他总是非常有趣。
one's head is in the clouds.
晕头转向,脑子不清楚。
1. Amy wants to buy a car for $500 dollars. She has her head in the clouds. The car is much more expensive than that.
艾米希望花500美元买一辆小汽车,她肯定是发傻了,一辆小汽车的价钱当然不止500美元。
2. A:I'd like to climb to the top of Mount Everest.
B:You have your head in the clouds. Only expert hikers can do that.
我希望我能够爬上珠穆朗玛峰顶。
你是不是脑袋不太清楚?只有专业登山者才可能做的到。
on the blink
某件事恐怕要出问题了。
1. I could not text message you because my mobile phone has been on the blink ever since I dropped it in the lake.
我无法给你发短信了,自从我把它掉到湖中以后,我的手机随时都有可能坏掉。
2. I like you a lot. And unless my radar is completely on the blink, I think you like me.
我很喜欢你,除非我的感觉完全错了,否则我知道你也喜欢我
on second thought
转念一想,再一斟酌,通常是改变观点了。
1. On second thought,I will take the
subway instead of a taxi.
我原本准备打车去,我转念一想不行,现在这么堵,我应该坐地铁。
2. Let's go to the cinema. No,wait,on second thought,I would rather just go for a walk.
咱们去看电影吧,结果转念一想,我想我们还是散散步算了。
on one's
behavior行为、举止表现得规矩、得体。用这个词组的大部分场景是大人教训孩子守规矩,要乖一点。
1. She had too much to drink,she wasn't on her best
behavior.
她喝得太多了,行为举止有些失态了。
2. I told him he would have to be on his best
behavior all day,if he wanted to go to the zoo tomorrow.
我告诉如果他明天想去动物园的话,必须一天都要好好表现。
old man
爸爸,有点开玩笑的口吻。
1. My old man works as a lawyer.
我的爸爸是一名律师。
2. The old man does not like it when I get home late.
当我回家晚了,我爸爸非常不高兴。
Okey-dokey.
好吧,一种淘气的说法,It's a somewhat childish way of saying"ok".
1. A:Clean your room.
B:Okey-dokey.
你可以清扫房间吗?
好吧。
2. A:Can you help me with my homework?
B:Okey-dokey.
你能帮我做作业吗?
好吧
Okey Dokey!
好的,没问题"。是孩子气的说法。It means okey or go ahead.
1. A:I'm going to start the movie now.
B:Okey Dokey.I'm coming.
我可要放电影看了。
好的好的,我这就来。
2. A:Jennifer's coming over for dinner.
B:Okey Dokey.I'll make extra!
珍尼花今天要来这里一起吃晚饭。
没问题,好的,我多做一点。
Oh, come on!
请注意使用这个短语时的语气非常的特别。它不等于我们平白说的"Come on."在这个地方的语气很重。it is just a mild expression of disbelief or irritation,委婉地表达你对某人不信任或不耐烦。
• 发布时间:2006-12-29
1. Oh,Come on,you can do better than that。
好啦,你可以做得更好一些的。
off the charts
打破记录。
1. His grades were off the charts. Nobody's ever scored that high on the test.
他的分数已经打破了纪录.没有人在考试中得过这么高的分数.
2. She's the fastest swimmer on the team. Her time is off the charts.
她是队里最快的游泳运动员,她的速度破了纪录.
off base
把某事弄错了。
1. The report was well written, but it was slightly off base.
这个报告的文笔不错,但是写作方向好像有点偏离主题。
2. She was completely off base in thinking that I had lied to her.
如果她认为我在欺骗她的话,那她就大错特错了。
odds
运气,能够得手的几率。Play the odds就是"碰运气"。
1. At the casino he's always careful to bet with the odds.
在赌钱的时候他总是非常的小心。
2. The odds are always against him when he plays cards.
他打牌的事情运气总是不好。
OD
吸毒过量。
1. Several rock stars have OD'd on heroin and died.
有几位摇滚巨星是死于过量服用海洛因。
2. I had to take my friend to the hospital last night because she OD'd.
昨晚我必须把朋友送到医院去,因为她吸毒过量。
one night stand
一夜情。
1. Although she only had a one night stand with him,she still thought about him often.
虽然他和她只度过一个美好的晚上,她却经常想起对方。
2. He wished that it hadn't been a one night stand because he had left his bag at her house and wanted to get it back.
他真希望那个一夜情并未发生国,因为他把包落在了姑娘的家里,他非常想把包拿回来。
put up with
忍受某些人或事。
1. I have to put up with my cat's fur all over the house.
我必须要忍受我的猫在我的房子里掉了满地的猫毛。
2. Mary has to put up with her boss'rudeness every day.
玛丽每天都要忍受老板的粗暴无礼。
put someone through
把某人的电话接进来。
1. Hello,can you please put me through to Mr.Weng?He's expecting my call.
你好,能帮我接一下翁先生吗?他在等我电话。
2. I'm sorry.I can't put you through to Mr.Weng right now. His phone is busy.
对不起,翁先生现在接不过去,他的电话占线。
put one's foot down
下定了决心做某事。做出最终决定,拍板儿了。
1. After too many times being late to class,the teacher put his foot down and began to take
strict attendance.
在上课迟到了很多次以后,老师就下定了决心以后再也不迟到了。
2. Father put his foot down and said no more computer games until my grades improved.
爸爸最终下定决心决定再也不允许我玩电脑游戏了,直到有一天我把成绩搞上去。
pull out
离开,撤出。
1. All of the trucks pulled out of the gas station at the same time.
这么多大卡车同一时间撤出了加油站。
2. Three team members were pulled out of the game for fighting.
三个队员因为打架被要求离开了赛场。
prom
比较正式的舞会或晚会。
1. At the end of each year there's always a prom right before high school
graduation.
在每年的年底的时候,都会在高中毕业之前举行一个舞会。
2. I'm not sure who's going to be my date for the prom.
我到现在还不太清楚,谁会是我的舞伴。
prank
恶作剧
1. Hiding our teacher's bike from her was a great prank. She was looking for it for hours!
把我们的老师的自行车藏起来是一个很棒的恶作剧,她找了好几个小时。
2. You guys better stop playing those pranks on your sister. You're making her very upset.
你们最好不要再用恶作剧捉弄你妹妹了,你们已经让她很难过了。
play around
胡闹、不当真。
1. Don't get caught playing around by the teacher.
你千万不要被老师抓住在胡闹。
2. He was playing around on the boat and fell
overboard.
他在船上折腾,结果掉下去了
pitch in
努力投入,全力以赴,含帮助的意思。
1. We all pitched in to help our mom with the dinner.
我们一起帮助妈妈做晚饭。
2. If you could pitch in a little we'd be finished quicker.
如果你能努力帮助一下,我们很快就可以完成。
关键字:
俚语生词表: