snap out of sth
尽快摆脱某种状态,从这种状态里脱离出去。
1. Bob has been acting really strangely. I hope he will snap out of it soon.
鲍伯最近的举止好像很奇怪,我真是希望他能够尽快摆脱这个状态。
snap out of it
态度或习惯突然变好了,某事/某人突然变好起来
1. I wish she would just snap out of it and get over her ex-boyfriend.
我希望我的女朋友她可以改变她的态度,重新振作起来,把前男友忘记。
2. Ben has been acting so strangely since
seeing that film. I wish he would just snap out of it and be himself again.
自从看了那部电影以后,本就变了一个人,我真希望他重新振作,恢复原来的样子。
smooth
第一个意思是对什么东西很擅长,很有一套。第二个意思是形容一种人,可以把很复杂的事情变的很简单。第三个意思是指一种人非常有感染力,非常有渲染力,可以说服别人,很轻易的
1. He's very smooth with women because he has dates every
weekend.
他对异性可真有一套,每个周末都有约会。
2. He has a very smooth manner,polite,interesting and a good
talker.
他的举止非常具有感染力,有礼貌, 风度翩翩,谈吐优美。
sleepover
为小孩子举行的可以过夜的派对
1. My parents are letting me have a sleepover for my birthday.
我的父母让我开一个通宵晚会,庆祝生日。
2. I think my younger sister still to young for sleepover parties.
我觉得妹妹还太小,不能参加通宵晚会。
sixth sense
第六感
1. If you want to know if your husband's cheating on you,ask my
grandpa. He's got a sixth sense about these things.
如果你要想知道你丈夫是不是骗你,你一定问问我爷爷,我爷爷在这方面第六感非常的强。
2. My mother's got a sixth sense,she knows when it's going to rain.
我妈妈也有第六感,下雨的时候她能感觉出来
sidetracked
偏离轨道,某事没有按照既定的轨道发展,分神了。"sidetacked"means"to be distracted."
1. Peter thought he would go to college right after high school.But he got sidetracked. He spent four years in the army first.
彼德原以为高中一毕业就可以去大学, 可他完全想走错了,他在军队里面渡过了四年.
2. Hey, I'm sorry I didn't have time to buy yourbook.You know,there was a sale going on I got sidetracked.
对不起,我没有时间帮你买书,你知道那有一个特价书市,我耽误了很长时间.
sick of it
烦了,厌倦某事。
1. You've been practicing piano all day! Aren't you sick of it?
你都练了一天钢琴了,你不烦闷吗?
2. My sister is always bossing mearound.I'm sick of it.
我的姐姐总是对我呼来喝去的,我真的烦透了。
sick
令人作呕的,生厌的,恶心的,让人想吐的。
1. That movie was sick-it was too violent.
那个影片让我觉得很不舒服.因为充满了暴力。
2. Don't invite Dave to the party. He always offends the guests by telling sick jokes.
你可千万不要邀请Dave去参加这个晚会,因为他老让客人很不舒服.他老给人家讲一些恶心的笑话。
shut up
闭嘴
1. Will you shut up!I can't study if you keep talking.
能不能把嘴闭上,你们老说话我没法学习了。
2. Shut up!I never said I liked Duran. Why are you
saying that?
闭嘴,我可没说过我喜欢杜伦。
shut sb down
打败某人。"shut down" 还有第二个意思,"shut something down"就是"关闭、倒闭"的意思.
1. Jane is a very good chess player so she shut me down easily.
简是一个非常好的棋手,她很轻松就把我打败了.
2. That company was doing
illegal things so the police shut it down.
那个公司在做一些非法的事情,所以警芳把它关闭了.
Shut it.
Shut your mouth or you can say stop talking, shut up! 这个短语非常地强烈,虽然不是骂人的话,但是语气很冲,它的意思是"闭嘴",让对方闭嘴,所以用它的时候注意场合和分寸.
1. Shut it! I'm not listening to you anymore.
闭嘴,我不想再听你说了.
2. I was being loud and stupid at a party. Gerry told me to shut it.
那天在那个舞会上我大声喧哗,很愚蠢.杰瑞让我闭嘴.
show grit
拿出勇气来。
1. Once the team started losing they didn't try anymore. They really didn't show much grit.
那支队伍自一开始输球,就气馁了,根本没有打出气势。
2. You need to show some grit if you want to succeed in the tough world of business.
你要是想在残酷商战中胜出的话,就得拿出点勇气来。
shake down
被别人算计了或被别人坑了。它既可以作动词,也可以作名词。
1. Whilst we were traveling
overseas some customs officials tried to shake us down for money.
当我们在外国旅游的时候,一些海关官员曾想通过一些方法来算计我们的钱。
2. It's a shakedown. You're shaking me down,aren't you?
这里勒索,你向我勒索是吗?
set up
陷害,冤枉。Someone gets blamed for something he didn't do.可以做名词短语"a set up"或者用作动词短语 "to set up".
1. I didn't steal your DVD player, I know I'm being set up.
我没有偷你的DVD播放机,我知道我是被冤枉的.
2. He was set up by the Mafia to look like he was guilty.
他是被黑手党陷害成为有罪的.
sell out
卖光了。
1. The movie starts all 8:00pm but let's get to the theater at 7:15 pm. Tickets for new movies sell out fast.
电影八点钟开演,但是我们7:15 就要到达,因为新电影的票很快就会卖光。
2. Scott wanted to buy one of the new Toyota cars,but they have already sold out.
斯科特想买一部新的丰田汽车,但是这款车都卖光了。
see to it
关照,负责,保证做到。To take care of
successfully.
1. You'd better see to it that the report gets done on time. Otherwise, the boss is gonna be angry.
你最好保证那个报告可以按时完成,否则老板一定会生气的.
2. Don't worry about
grandma, I'll see to it that she takes her medicine
everyday.
不要担心奶奶了,我会负责保证她每天会按时吃药的.
screw up
弄砸了,搞黄了。
1. Ken
totally screwed up the science experiment and he had to do it all again.
凯恩把科学实验给搞砸了,不得不重新来过。
2. Listen,I really want this thing to work so don't screw it up.
听着,我真的希望这个事情能成功,千万不要搞砸了。
screw up
把某事搞杂了,搞得一团乱,到不可收拾的境地。这是一种不太礼貌的说法。
1. My alarm clock didn't go off this morning,so I was late for bus and to work. It screwed up my whole day!
我的闹钟没有响,所以我上班的路上没赶上汽车,我这一天都被搞得一团糟。
2. A:How was your piano
recital yesterday?
B:Terrible. I was really nervous so I screwed up my piece.
昨天你的那个钢琴演奏会怎么样了?
我非常紧张,把这首曲子弹砸了。
screw around
胡闹,鬼混。
1. This is really serious, quit screwing around!
这是非常严肃的事情,不要再胡闹了。
2. I wish you would try harder at school and quit screwing around!
我希望你能努力学习,不要再鬼混了。
scratch
忘掉,忘记,不要再提之前说过的话。
1. A:How was your test?
B:Scratch that. Let's talk about something fun.
你考得怎么样。
别提了,让我们来说一些有意思的事情。
2. Let's get dinner at seven o'clock. Scratch that. I'm hungry,so let's eat now.
让我们一块七点的时候吃晚饭吧,算了吧,我已经很饿,现在我们就去吃吧。
schmoe
笨蛋、蠢人。源自希伯莱语。
1. I wouldn't let just any schmoe work for me. He'd have to be well qualified.
我可不想要这种蠢人来为我效力,为我效力的人一定要有资格,一定要很能干.
2. Don't listen that schmoe,He doesn't know what he's talking about.
不要听那个蠢人的话,他连他自己说什么都不知道.
scheme
阴谋、诡计。
1. She has figured out a scheme to get us into the movies for free.
她想出一个阴谋,可以让我们大家都不买票就看到电影.
sob story
为了骗取别人眼泪而讲的煽情故事。A story that is so sad to make people crying.这样的故事大部分是有虚拟和夸张的成分在里面。所以这个词组是有一点贬义的。
1. I can't be bothered talking to her anymore;all she is sob stories.
我可不想再跟她说话了,她说的所有那些故事全都是为了骗人眼泪。
2. My brother told me a real sob story,so I tend him $10.
我哥哥给我讲了一个非常催人泪下的煽情故事,骗我借给他十块钱。
two-bit
二流的,次的,水平不高的。
1. It's a real two-bit hotel.
这个饭店是二流的。
2. I've just got some terrible two-bit job.
我得到了一份次一点的工作。
turn one's back on sb
背叛或遗弃爱人或朋友。
1. You can't turn your back on your friends at our company and join our rivals!
你不能够背叛我们公司里你的朋友,加入我们敌对的人那一边。
2. When he married that woman,he turned his back on all of us!
当他和那个女的结婚以后,他抛弃了我们所有人。
treat
因为做了某件好事而得到的小奖赏,奖励。尤其指奖给小孩子的好吃的。也可做动词,表示"请客"。
1. Our daughter Suzy was so quiet on the flight that we bought her ice cream as a treat.
我们的女儿苏珊在飞机上非常安静,因此我们决定要给她买一个冰激凌作为奖励。
2. It was Nathan's birthday on Tuesday so we all treated him to dinner.
这个礼拜二是Nathan的生日,我们大家一起请他吃了顿晚饭。
to go
外带,带走吃。与之相对的是"for here",在这吃。
1. I'll have two Big Macs and a large fries to go please.
我想买两个巨无霸,一个大薯条。请给我打包。
2. I don't have time to eat at a restaurant so I'll order some some food to go.
我没有时间在餐馆用餐,所以只能上面还有同事等着我,我只能把食物叫走回去吃。
tip off
暗中通信、报信。
1. Someone tipped off the police that the thief was hiding in the
garage.
有人向警察通风报信,举报有窃贼隐藏在车库里面。
2. The spy was tipped off that the secret meeting would be held in London.
间谍得到情报说这个秘密会议将在伦敦举行。
tiger
是父亲对儿子的一种爱称。如果是女孩,西方人一般会称为pumpkin,它的意思是 "南瓜
1. I'm so proud of you,tiger.
你真棒,爸爸以你为豪.
2. Go help your mom,tiger.
孩子,去帮帮你妈妈.
throw it all away
白白浪费了机会。
1. He was a great success until he threw it all away gambling.
他原来是个很成功的人,直到他抛弃所有机会去赌博。
2. You could do so much with your life.So don't quit school and throw it all away.
你一辈子可以做很多事情。所以不要放弃学业,浪费机会。
thick in the head
笨,傻,反应迟钝。"thick "means"stupid"
1. You're going to steal a car. Are you thick in the head?
你想偷去汽车是吗?你是不是犯傻啊?
2. Hey, I'm sure. Jim doesn't understand. You know. He's a little thick.
我确信吉米不能理解,你知道他有点迟钝.
thick
傻里傻气,迟钝,蠢笨。
1. I think I was too thick to go to university.
我觉得我自己有一点笨,以至于上不了大学。
2. My brother's a bit thick when it comes to science.
我哥哥对理科非常迟钝。
there's a lot of money in sth
某物很值钱,就是现在所说的很有"钱"途。
1. Amanda wants to work for the company J.P.Morgan because there's a lot of money in investment
banking。
Amanda非常想为J.P.Morgan公司工作,因为投资银行业能够赚到很多的钱,非常有利可图。
2. If he can work out the details,there will be a lot of money in the invention.
如果他能够把这些细节都做好的话,这个发明就会非常有利润前景。
there is much more to ...
某人或某事没有看起来那么简单。
1. John looks like a dumb athlete,but there's much more to him than that.He also has a law degree from Princeton and is a good painter.
约翰看起来在运动方面很白痴,但是他可不是这么简单,他在有名普林斯顿大学拿到了法律学位,画画也很好。
2. Many people expect Sue to be naive because she grew up in the
countryside, but there is much more to her than that.She has travelled all over the world.
许多人都以为苏天真幼稚,因为这个姑娘从小在乡下长大的,但是她没这么简单,她已经周游过全世界。
the third wheel
当电灯泡,多余的人。
1. It wasn't until I arrived at the party and met Suzie that I realized that I was the third wheel on my friend's date.
直到我赶到那个聚会上,看到了苏珊,我才意识到今天我是个多余的人,纯粹一个"电灯泡"。
2. He felt like a third wheel because he doesn't know how to cook.
他感到自己根本就是多余的人,因为他根本不会烹饪。
the order of the day
It means that something should be a priority. 中文意思是:某事是头等大事,最重要的事情。
1. It'll take three months to repair the house.Now patience is the order of the day for us.
装修这个房子要花三个月,现在耐心对我们而言是最重要的。
2. They won't start shooting for a month.Now,learning your role is the order of the day.
离这个片子开拍还有一个月,所以现在熟悉你的角色是最重要的。
Thanks a bunch.
多谢。Thanks a lot.
1. I thanked my parents a bunch after they gave me a present for my birthday.
父母送了我生日礼物,我跟父母说"多谢"。
2. There were a bunch of reasons why I couldn't go to the marathon on the weedend.
有千千万万个理由可以解释为何这个周末我无法参加马拉松比赛。
ten-four
我懂了,我明白了,我收到你的信息了。是使用步话机时的专业用语。" Ten-four" is used in radio communication to state you've heard and understood something.
1. A: We found him under the
bridge. His leg is broken.
B: Ten-four.
我发现那个人了,他的腿瘸了.
收到。
2. A: Mike, take Exit 27 off the highway.
B: Ten-four
麦克,请从27号出口退出公路.
知道了。
tell sb on sb
向某人告谁的状。
1. Give back my toy,or I will tell Dad on you.
把东西还给我,否则的话我去向爸爸告你状。
2. I broke the vase,please don't tell on me.
我把花瓶摔了,我把花瓶给打碎了,别告诉别人好吗?
3. I lost the computer disc. please don't tell the boss on me.
我把电脑软软盘弄丢了,请不要告诉老板。
take your pick
随你挑。It means that you can choose any one you want.
1. We have eough money to buy any DVD player this store has, so take your pick.
我们的钱买得起店里所有的DVD机, 随你挑吧。
Take it easy.
放松,别太累。
1. The doctor told me to take it easy and get lots of rest.
医生嘱咐我说别太玩命干,多休息。
take care of
关照,处理,把某事/某人解决了。
1. I'm gonna be late for the meeting, there are a few things for my project at work that I need to take care of first.
这个聚会我要迟到了,因为我单位有一个项目,有好多事情我需要我先处理一下。
2. The police really need to take care of the crime in the city so that people can be safer.
警察真的应该把这个犯罪问题解决掉,从而让人们能够更安全地生活。
take a rain check
改天。
1. I can't make it to dinner tonight. Can I take a rain check?
今晚我不能去吃饭了,咱们改天可以吗?
2. I will have to take a rain check on going to the movie. I have too much work to do tonight.
我今晚的工作太多,必须改天去看电影了。
tagged
被抓住,被逮住。Get caught
1. He got tagged last night for drinking beer in the park.
昨晚,他由于在公园里喝啤酒而被逮捕了.
2. I hope the principal doesn't tag us for skipping classes.
我希望校长不会发现我们逃课了.
tough break
倒霉、不幸。
1. To lose a
tennis match because of one bad call is a tough break.
比赛有一个误判,你输掉了这场比赛,太不幸了。
2. Your girlfriend dumped you on your 40 birthday,it's a tough break.
你过40岁生日这天,你的女友跟你说分手,真是太不幸了。
until the fat lady sings
意思是等到某事结束。这里有一个典故,在西方的歌剧里,通常整场演出结束之前,会出来一个女士独唱,通常这个女高音会比较胖,观众们就会知道演出快要收场了
1. We shouldn't really make any plans until the fat lade sings.
在这些事情没有做完之前,我们真的不能安排其他计划。
2. My boss said :"you are not finished with today's work until the fat lady sings, then you can go home."
我的老板说:"在所有工作没有完成之前,你就不能回家。"
under the impression
原以为是这样的,结果证明你的想法是错的。
1. I was under the impression that Shanghai was very close to Beijing,but actually it's about two hours by air.
我原来以为上海离北京很近,结果我错了,坐飞机也要两个钟头。
关键字:
俚语生词表: