如果获得晋升是你这一年的目标,你会尽全力去实现它吗?
If a
promotion is one of your goals for the next year, are you doing everything you can to make it happen?
如果勤奋和才华能自动带给你更高收入、更多职责、和一个更加响亮头衔的职位那就好了。但大多数时候,晋升需要付出更多。
It would be nice if hard work and talent would
automatically lead to a job with more pay, more responsibility, and a better title. But in most cases, it takes more than that to move to the next level.
让人们了解你
Make Yourself Known
看看你希望一年之后获得的职位。谁负责选拔这个职位的候选人?他和谁一起工作?他会听取谁的意见?
Look at the job you'd like to have a year from now. Who selects candidates for this position? Who does that person work with and ask for advice?
"然后,你要坐下来系统地思考如何和这些人联系,"一家位于达拉斯的职业策划公司的创办人海伦-哈克尼斯说。有许多方法可以达到目的。
"Then you systematically sit down and think about how you're going to make contact," says Helen Harkness,
founder of Career Design Inc., in Dallas. There are lots of ways to do this.
比如,你可以自愿为你需要认识的人所在的小组工作。你可以把和他们工作相关的文章和信息发送给他们。
You can
volunteer to serve on a committee with the people you need to know, for example. You can forward them articles or information that relate to their expertise.
帮助上司成功
Help Your Boss Succeed
往往你的上司就是那个决定是否提拔你的人。即便不是这样,晋升肯定也要听取他的意见。所以,给上司一个好印象是第一重要的事情。
Often, your boss is the person who will decide if you'll be promoted. But even if not, your boss will almost certainly be consulted. So impressing your boss is a top priority.
硅谷招聘人员及职业顾问玛丽安-阿多瑞迪奥给你的建议是关注公司的主要目标,然后和上司讨论你的部门最重要的工作是什么。
Marianne Adoradio, a recruiter and career
counselor in Silicon Valley, suggests focusing on your company's key goals, then talking with your boss to find out which are most important in your department.
"认识到怎样才能让上司成功,以及对他/她来说什么最重要。"
"It's really important to be aware of what is going to make your boss successful, what is most important to him or her."
开始行动
Start Doing the Job
你不会愿意发动"办公室政变",继而代替你上司的职责去做人事决定。但是你得表现出自己具有胜任比目前更高一级职位的能力。
You don't want to stage an office coup and start making
personnel decisions that are your boss' responsibility. But you need to show that you can work at a higher level than your current position.
位于加州波尔图峡谷的咨询公司的负责人史蒂夫-莱文称:"当人们表现出有能力胜任高级别的部分工作时,他们就很容易被提拔。
"People are easily promoted when they show that they can already do parts of the job they want to move into," says Steve Levin, principal of Leading Change Consulting & Coaching, in Portola Valley, California.
如果你想从普通管理人员晋升到部门管理者,那么就要先承担起这个职务的责任,并像部门管理者一样去考虑问题。"
"If you want to move from being a manager to a group manager, start
taking on responsibility for what a group manager does. Start thinking like they do."
然后你就可以说:"我已经在做这份工作了,现在需要的只是个头衔。"
Then you can make the case that "I'm already doing the job; I just need the title."
莱文说:"这样你的老板就很难拒绝你的请求了。"
That's pretty
irresistible to your boss," Levin says.
准备一个备选计划
Have a Plan B
哈克尼斯说,许多人以为职场天生就有一个系统能帮助他们规划好职业发展。
Many people think there's a system in place at work that will take care of them and their career path, Harkness says.
"他们希望按1-2-3步自动进行。只要按部就班地工作就能获得晋升。但事实不是那样的。"
"They expect it to happen 1-2-3,
automatically. They do the right thing, and they're going to get that
promotion. It doesn't work that way."
哈克尼斯称,事实可能会是"你做了每件该做的事,却没得到提拔"。
In fact, Harkness says, it can happen that "you do everything you're supposed to do and it doesn't work."
你得知道,职场具有不确定性,如果你得不到晋升,也要做好准备,这是很重要的。
It's important to understand that the workplace is uncertain--and to know what your backup plan is if you don't get the
promotion you want.
如果晋升遥遥无期,你的老板拒绝提拔你的同时又激励你,也许你就该再花一年时间来积累经验。但是你也可以考虑选择其它公司的职位。
If the
promotion was a stretch and your boss is encouraging even while turning you down, it may be worth spending another year gaining experience. But you may also want to
explore career options outside the company.
关键字:
双语新闻生词表: