酷兔英语

On Giving

给予





Then said a rich man, Speak to us of Giving.

然后有个富有的人说道:跟我们谈一谈给予吧。



And he answered:

他回答说:



You give but little when you give of your possessions.

给予你们的财产时,并不算给予;



It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.

只有当你们献出自己,那才算是真正的给予。



For what are your possessions but things you keep and guard for fear you may need them tomorrow?

因为你们的所有物是否是为了担忧明日所需而屯积下来的呢?



And tomorrow, what shall tomorrow bring to the over-prudent dog burying bones in the trackless sand as he follows the pilgrims to the holy city?

至于明天,明天又将带给一只过份谨慎的狗什么呢???谧匪娉?フ咦呷胧コ堑耐局校??峭仿裨谖藓鄣纳呈?锪恕?br />


And what is fear of need but need itself?

什么是不安的恐惧,岂不就是不安的本身吗?



Is not dread of thirst when your well is full, the thirst that is unquenchable?

当你们的井水注满时,你仍害怕口渴,这渴岂不是永无止尽?



There are those who give little of the much which they have -- and they give it for recognition and their hidden desire makes their gifts unwholesome.

有些人拥有很多,却给予得很少,而他们的给予也不过只是为了沽名而给予,而他们隐藏内心的欲念已使得给予蒙上了污点。



And there are those who have little and give it all.

又有些人只拥有很少,却全部给予。



These are the believers in life and the bounty of life, and their coffer is never empty.

他们才是相信生命和生命的献赏者,他们的钱库永不空乏。



There are those who give with joy, and that joy is their reward.

有些人以愉悦的心给予,那快乐即是他们的报偿。



And there are those who give with pain, and that pain is their baptism.

有些人以痛苦的心给予,那痛苦即是他们应得的洗礼。



And there are those who give and know not pain in giving, nor do they seek joy, nor give with mindfulness of virtue;

又有些人给予而不觉得给予的痛苦,也不去寻求其中的快乐,更不怀着道德观念才给予。



They give as in yonder valley the myrtle breathes its fragrance into space.

他们的给予就如山谷之中的长青花,在荒野之中散放着芬芳。



Through the hands of such as these God speaks, and from behind their eyes He smiles upon the earth.

上帝借着这些人的手,表达?的意旨,从他们的眼睛后面,?对世界微笑。



It is well to give when asked, but it is better to give unasked, through understanding;

当人们要求而给予,固然是好,但在了解需求之后,不待对方提出即给予更好。



And to the open-handed the search for one who shall receive is joy greater than giving

对于那慷慨的人,去寻找谁来接受,比给予本身更快乐。



And is there aught you would withhold?

你还有什么不舍的东西吗?



All you have shall some day be given;

你所有的一切,总有一天都得给予;



Therefore give now, that the season of giving may be yours and not your inheritors'.

因此,现在就给予吧,如此让给予的时机由你拥有,而不是受施的人。



You often say, "I would give, but only to the deserving."

你常说:「我愿给予,但只给予该给予的人。」



The trees in your orchard say not so, nor the flocks in your pasture.

但是你果园里的树却不这样说,你牧场上的羊群也不这么说。



They give that they may live, for to withhold is to perish.

他们借着给予而生活,因为不舍得就会丧亡。



Surely he who is worthy to receive his days and his nights is worthy of all else from you.

毫无疑问地,一个值得接受白天和夜晚的人,便值得你给予他其它所有的一切。



And he who has deserved to drink from the ocean of life deserves to fill his cup from your little stream.

有权从生命之洋领饮之人,就有权从你的溪流来盛满他的杯。



And what desert greater shall there be, than that which lies in the courage and the confidence, nay the charity, of receiving?

是故,敢于领受施予的人,他们既有勇气和信心,且不只是宽宏,这岂不是更值得你给予吗?



And who are you that men should rend their bosom and unveil their pride, that you may see their worth naked and their pride unabashed?

你又凭什么?他们就该为你袒露胸膛,显露出他们的矜持,以便让你看清他们真实的价值和他们的尊严?



See first that you yourself deserve to be a giver, and an instrument of giving.

首先让你自己配做施予者及做一个施予的工具吧。



For in truth it is life that gives unto life -- while you, who deem yourself a giver, are but a witness.

因为事实上,是生命给予了生命--你自以为是个施予者,其实只不过是个见证者罢了。



And you receivers -- and you are all receivers -- assume no weight of gratitude, lest you lay a yoke upon yourself and upon him who gives.

至于,你们这些受施者--你们不论施与受都是受施的人--不必因感激而有负担,以免使自己以及施予的人同样互有羁绊。



Rather rise together with the giver on his gifts as on wings;

不如凭借施予者的付出,如凭借羽翼一般,与施者一同起飞吧。



For to be overmindful of your debt, is to doubt his generosity who has the free-hearted earth for mother, and God for father.

因为过份惦记领受的恩惠,就是怀疑施者的慷慨。而他有着以大地为母,以上帝为父的宽阔心胸。
关键字:诗歌散文
生词表:
  • coffer [´kɔfə] 移动到这儿单词发声 n.保险箱;资产 六级词汇
  • baptism [´bæptizəm] 移动到这儿单词发声 n.洗礼 四级词汇
  • myrtle [´mə:tl] 移动到这儿单词发声 n.桃金娘科 六级词汇
  • withhold [wið´həuld] 移动到这儿单词发声 v.不给;扣留;抑制 六级词汇